Monday 24 August 2015

Work diary - Sequencing and Animation

Evaluation and Technique

In this photography session we were asked to go out and shoot some pictures to create sequences. I took 6 pictures in order to create an animation, 7 pictures to create a row of frames, and 3 pictures to merge them all into one frame. I was very happy with the animation one, because I set the camera on a tripod and got somebody to hold the shutter as I performed a cartwheel infront of the lense - which came out extremely well for my first attempt. I struggled with the one where I had to merge three images all in the same frame because I couldn't quite grasp how to do it in photoshop; but definitely intend on creating some more further on in my project and mastering that technique because I found it fresh and exciting. Lastly, the row of frames was my least favourite, however still something that I created to a decent standard. Overall, this session was a fun one when working with my group becuase I was doing things that were new which I'm always open to and I enjoyed experimenting with three unique different styles of photography. 

 photo cartwheel_zpss8ppe4px.gif
From this shoot, the animation that I created of myself performing a cartwheel was my most successful sequence piece of photography. I got someone from my group to shoot the camera, so captured 7 individual pictures that I then merged together in order to create this animation. I was really happy with this style of sequencing because it was my first attempt at piecing together an animation. I feel that it perhaps moves too quick, or I could have at least landed after performing the cartwheel. I stop mid air at the end; only one foot touches the grass, which makes the overal product look incomplete and less effective. However, my whole body fills the frame. I used up the space from left to right which I think was the perfect amount of room in order for me to perform the cartwheel. Overall, this being my first animation is something that I am proud of and will most certainly be improving them in future shoots throughout my project. 
Out of the three pieces I creared during this shoot, in my opinion, this one has to be the least effective and least successful outcome. I quite liked the concept behind this piece, shooting individual pictures each time something changed (the position of the subjects), however don't feel that they look that interesting or eye catching when pieced together in a row. I think it may have looked more like a sequence if I'd positioned the pictures so that they were going down in a portrait instead of landscape; as you are unable to see very much; just 7 extremely small frames of three bodies. The seuqence is evident when you drag your eyes across picture by picture, but looking at this piece first glance has zero effect on me as a viewer and somebody who appreciates good photography. The 5th picture has also been captured with extra light, unlike the other 6 which all consist of a lot of shadow. This spoils the sequence and adds to it's lack of success as a piece of photography. It was an average creation and something that I'm not entirely interested in developing in my project. 
Progression

In order to excel myself in this topic, I have thought about some techniques I could use in my advertising project. I will most certainly be creating more animations with perhaps someone holding a variety of candy in their hands and throwing it up in the air. I may fill a balloon with nerds (american candy) and blow it up, then create an animation of me popping it in order for the multicoloured candy to explode everywhere. I think that these ideas are extremely creative and fun, which will create a lot of colour and pattern; which are my two favourite formal elements to shoot in photography. I am very excited to experiment with these ideas. The other sequencing piece I will develop will be this one below:



To apply this to my advertising project, I was thinking of advertising different food products from the same brand through one model holding them with their hands in a silly pose, infront of their face; the model could be holding a packet of sunbite crisps on the left, sunbite crackers on the right, and both packets in the middle. I'd situate them the same way I did with George above, but instead have just their shoulders to their head in the frame in order to keep the focus on the food items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment