Tuesday 25 August 2015

Work diary - Image within an image/Video

Evaluation:

Today's session was one of my favourites out of them all. We were asked to take three different styles of "image within an image" photography. The first one was to put the camera on a tripod, take a picture of a scene, and then place someone in front of that scene holding up an empty frame and take a 2nd picture. In Photoshop, I had to place both of these images over one another, and cut out the space in the frame so that the scenery would overlap the picture with the person in. For this, I used Josh, and cut out his face behind the empty frame in order for it to look as though he has no head. This is a surreal type of photography that I explored in my previous project, and am interested in developing for this one. I also created two other styles of this photography which are shown below; both are what I found to be my most successful out of the three. Learning new Photoshop techniques in this shoot was my favourite part of the session. I really enjoy being creative with my editing, therefore learning this new, not so difficult technique, was extremely entertaining for me and now something that I am interested in developing in future shoots.

In this location portraiture piece, I have been creative with the prop being held by the subject. I originally took pictures of other members in my group holding up the frame to put them into the other frames in the orginal one. However, I felt that it would look extra trippy and clever if I was to use the same person in the main photograph. It almost looks like a reflection is happening in the frames, but without seeing the photographer taking the picture. I loved this style of photography and am very pleased with my first attempt. It may have looked more effective if I was to zoom in more on Connie in order for the frame she's holding to look a lot larger; allowing the pictures within the frame to stand out more. Currently, the focus isn't set much on the frame, because it is so small in the picture; this will therefore be something that I improve when I take other pictures like this for my advertising project.


I think this is my most favourite one from this shoot. Becuase my project is advertising, I have thought of many great ideas that I could use this technique for. I had orignally taken a normal landscape photograph of George holding up this empty frame, and then filled it with a video I filmed of two dogs chasing a ball. I filmed this through a pan shot, which was the perfect fit for the frame. In photoshop, I placed the video over the picture, and then shrunk it whilst dragging each corner of the clip to each corner of the frame, allowing it to look as though George is holding up a 2D video player of some sort. I am in love with this style of work and am so happy that I have been introduced to it. I think it would be a clever idea next time to have George, or whoever else I use as my model, looking towards the frame with a reaction that would come from someone who saw the same clip on a TV. For example, George could be looking at the frame with a smile on his face as this would connect him even more with the clip playing. For my project, I think it would be great for me to film a clip of M&M's falling into a bowl, sitting the frame on a white table with a white background, and have little M&M characters surrounding the frame. It would make the finishing piece link effectively,

Progression:

In order to progress this style of photography in my upcoming project, I have thought of many ideas that I'd be able to use each style with. I want to look at exploring different products within the same brand, and not just looking at food items either - also make up, clothes, mugs, books etc; anything that I could advertise through creative photography. I will most certainly be using the technique that I evaluated in the first picture in this post; because I could fill each frame with different pictures and create a patter; a formal element that makes any type of photo extra interesting and attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment