Tuesday 25 August 2015

Work diary - Minimum depth of field

Evaluation and Technique

In today's shoot I learnt a new setting on the camera that I was able to use in order to capture the best type of portraiture photography. I had to put the aperture to F5.6 on the camera which is the maximum of which my Canon would adjust to. This allowed for the camera to create a distinct blur in the background of the subject. I also had to zoom into Connie's upper half whilst standing close to her in order to focus the lense on her features. I tried this out a few times during this session by placing Connie in different positions of the frame, for example I tried taking a picture where she was on the left, however felt that having her in the middle would add to the focus of her being the main point of this picture. After trying out a variety of frame positions I was happy with the result below. It created a successful minimum depth of field which was the aim of the lesson. I am very interested in using this tecnhique when I take portraiture photography in order to capture advertising; which is my project.

As a trial shot, I was pleased with how this image came out. I could have improved it in many ways to make it more effective, which would be to have perhaps cropped out the bin in the bottom right hand corner and also to have waited for George and Josh in the background to have moved away from the frame. These readjustments would have allowed for the overal photograph to look more clean and precise. I was thrilled with the effect this camera setting gave the image. Giving the background a natural blur and making Connie look really crisp and defined meant that this picture would only need a few light adjustments in photoshop, nothing else. I also liked the green, brown and dark pink colours from the trees and building in the distance because I felt that this was a pretty attractive backdrop to use for this style of photography, and it didn't blend with Connie's figure; she still stands out against the variety of colours. 
Progression:

I reckon that I will most certainly be developing this technique because I have created a piece of photography that I feel was produced successfully enough for me to try it out with other pictures. I intend on taking portrait style photographs in this project, so using this camera setting would allow for me to capture the most effective style of portraiture photography. I will use the setting when I take pictures of my subject holding up different coloured fruits whilst wearing the same coloured accessories. Having a natural blur in the background of this style of work would add to the finishing look, which is why I feel it is an excellent way to take pictures of some of my ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment