Thursday 19 November 2015

Work Diary - Shoot 4

Evaluation

In today's shoot I wanted to practise with the composition and studio set up that I'd use when I come to photographing portraiture photography with a variation of fruits. For this shoot I have drawn a light diagram to convey how I set the studio up and what worked the best. I experimented with gels, however the colour yellow didn't compliment the picture by matching with the yellow lemon, instead it just ruined the image as I preferred Danielle's blonde hair at it's natural colour to avoid having there be other focal points in the frame; I just wanted the lemon to be the main subject of the picture. Overall I used three lights in this shoot to create the bright appearance that advertising photography often has. I will be using this set up again when I capture more portraiture photography as it was very successful. By shining a light on the white backdrop, it changed the appearance of its colour in the frame. With just a soft box to light the front of Danielle, only a minimal amount of light managed to reach the backdrop, meaning it appeared grey in the image. Therefore using the spotlight enhanced the white tone of the sheet, allowing it to become visible in my photographs. I used a snoot on the spotlight in order for it to shine on the back of my subjects hair from the right, rather than spread across the whole of my models hair. My intention for this shoot was to capture the reactions that people express after they've tasted a lemon. Here I am advertising something with a lemon flavour, which I will now be able to develop by adding a photograph of lemonade to the images perhaps.


This image is one of my favourites from the shoot today for an assortment of reasons. Firstly, I was happy to use no gels in this shoot because the texture and delicate appearance of Danielle's light blonde hair looked more appealing than it did with the bright yellow beam shining over the right side of her. The gel made the photograph look extremely fake and over the top. I composed Danielle's body to be in the middle of the frame, with her arms practically identical either side. The framing looks neat and tidy, and the lemon is in the centre of the image acting as the main focal point. It's bright yellow colour reaches out to the audiences eye, and as this is the action taking place in the frame, it conveys that what I am advertising most certainly has something to do with this tangy fruit. I thought that the black jumper Danielle wore contrasted effectively with the white background, as both colours appear as blocks. There are no tones in her jumper and no tones in the white backdrop. Sometimes a missing formal element can be a positive thing. I also like the fact that I could now develop this image into a magazine advertisement by perhaps having a bottle of Schweppes lemonade in the bottom middle of the frame with a wacky slogan.

This is my overall favourite photograph from today. Immediately I am attracted to this image because of Megan's sharp and accurate reaction to the taste of the lemon. In comparison to Danielle, Megan has gone all out with eating this lemon. Her reaction is a lot stronger because she has bit into the fruit whereas Danielle simply tried out the flavour with a small lick first. Megan's arms are also identical either side and she is situated, again, in the centre of the frame. As a result of this, the composition is successful.The orange tones in her hair and the highly saturated yellow of the lemon alongside the royal blue of her top are all colours that compliment each other. They contrast with one another but also match extremely well. It is the colours in this piece that I admire so much, as they have the connotation of fun and they are also loud. The taste of the lemon is most certainly a loud flavour because it hits your taste buds, and if I was to look at this piece in a metaphorical way I would suggest that the fun colours are a  representation of the fun adventure your taste buds undergo when they come face to face with a lemon.

Progression

In order to progress from this shoot, I will be developing these photographs. I will mainly work on those that I took of Danielle, because a bottle of lemonade/lemon flavoured drink would fit the best in the middle of her arms at the bottom of the composition. The bottle would also stand out against the black colours of her top. I will also be progressing this idea into a further shoot, where I will have the colours of the fruit match the colours of the models top, hair accessory, nail varnish and eye shadow. I want to perhaps take more photographs like this (above) of different people with the same fruit, or the same person with different fruits. I will create a multiple imagery with these pictures as it would illustrate the different reactions people have towards certain fruits. I could also have somebody messing around with the fruit in the frame and put these into a multiple imagery as well, because they would be fun to shoot and present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment