Monday 23 November 2015

Work Diary - Shoot 3

Evaluation

In today's shoot I wanted to begin exploring the food theme that I will be developing the most thoroughly in this advertising unit. I decided to just photograph sweets today, experimenting with presenting them and altering the composition. I captured these photographs at home, so there was no studio set up or specific lighting that I used, just a single spot light and my camera. I was extremely pleased with how they came out after I'd tweaked them slightly in Photoshop, and have acquired a lot of inspiration from photographing simple brands like Skittles. I took pictures where the sweets filled the frame, which I will be doing more of in an upcoming shoot enabling me to creating a bright and colourful multiple imagery piece. I also took pictures of the packet's contents (for example, Skittles) scattered around the frame with the packet on shot. I presented the sweets in glasses and boxes to add that extra appeal. I had fun starting off slowly with this topic and not going straight into editing images together, as I wanted to just simply photograph sweet treats first - and it has provided me with a good base for my next couple of upcoming shoots. 

I wanted to begin with photographing a packet of sweets that involved a mixture of colours, as this formal element is the most effective in advertising. Rather than just capturing a simplistic picture, I wanted to be creative with the pattern of the sweets so that it would make the overall composition more appealing. Pattern and shape are two formal elements that are evident in the top half of the frame, as I lined up particular coloured sweets to create an even and attractive pattern with the confectionary being advertised. I have taken this picture from an angle so that depth is evident in the frame, resulting in the Skittles packet being in focus whilst the contents of the packet is blurred. I like the effect with the skittles furthest away being the most out of focus as this makes it appear as though the pattern of Skittles is never-ending in the distance way beyond the frame. The overall piece in my opinion is effective because the brand is being conveyed to the audience along with the amount of sweets you get inside on packet, and more. It's a very inviting image that would sell to me quite easily if I was craving a sweet treat. I want to experiment with different packets of Skittles with the different coloured sweets and perhaps mash it up into a multiple imagery piece. 

These two photographs above are ones that I was also happy with from this shoot, that I feel have the potential to be played around with a little more. I want to edit the two of these images into magazine style. By this I mean I want to add text to the images and maybe even the logo of the brand. In the Skittles photograph I could easily add a quote about tasting the rainbow in multicoloured letters to compliment the colour of the sweets. In the Kinder image I could just simply add the logo 'Kinder' into the top half of the frame. All these types of additives to the compositions would finish off the advertising photography, as this involves text as well as images. My reasons for choosing these two pictures as ones that I could add text to is because I have taken the photographs and purposely left quite a large amount of white background in order to leave room for the text. The images just don't look quite finished with, but they will be once I alter them. 
Progression
In order to progress this shoot, I will be adding text to some of the frames like I mentioned above and also adding some surreal photoshop effects to the pictures, or new upcoming pictures, to make the images more appealing and wacky. An example of this would be me photographing a packet of skittles with them bursting out the top of the packet - created through photoshop of course.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ellie, please use this advice as a template for all of your work diaries as it's not very efficient to add the same advice to each work diary.

    For all of your shoots there is a need to describe how you took the photograph and what you did to change it. You will need to state your camera settings the use of other equipment e.g. tripod, and lighting… reflectors … etc. You are then able to analyse the outcome of the shoot with reference to the camera settings used.. this information will help you with AO2: and AO3: if you use studio lighting you should also be describing the shoot as a lighting diagram.. It might be hard for some images but you should also be analysing your work interns of the connotations associated with the image you create… e.g. a glass full of food might connote to a time of plenty, the use of saturated colours could connote to artificial food, etc. You should therefore try to analyse what your images are communication at e.g. an advertising level. ..

    ReplyDelete